Summer is a great time to try some new and refreshing recipes to enjoy in the sunshine. In a previous post we shared some of our favorite summer recipes to take to cookouts and pool parties. With the warmth of June-August, also comes some days of rain and storms. While the outside temperature is still warm, summer storms are a perfect excuse to experiment with tasty creations for the cool days of fall. Here are a few comforting recipes to try on your next rainy day.
Slow Cooker Favorites
If you own a slow cooker (aka Crockpot), you know how truly beneficial it’s talents can be, especially if you are busy throughout the day. Anything from soups, to taco fillers can be created in the deep pot of a slow cooker. If you’re planning on lounging on the couch for a Netflix binge, these fun recipes will be ready for your enjoyment only leaving the couch for a few minutes.
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Skip the take-out and substitute this classic Asian dish made to your liking. While the recipe calls for quite a few ingredients, the cooking aspect is effortless. Another great aspect of this meal is the large quantity that it produces. You can make the meal on a rainy day but enjoy it throughout the week!
- Almost any soup that your heart desires can be concocted in a slow cooker. Whether you are looking for a hearty seafood stew, or a simple split pea soup, a slow cooker is one of the best kitchen gadgets to help satisfy any craving.
- If you’re really going for that comforting feeling that food provides on a rainy day, you can skip right to the best part, dessert! Feeling fruity? You can make a berry cobbler or an apple crisp, right in your slow cooker. Add some ice cream before serving and you’ve got a perfect rainy day treat!
A recent cooking trend is showing that people are enjoying the idea of cooking various small and simple meals, rather than one large meal. There are those who enjoy just ”picking” at various items rather than sitting down and eating larger portions of only certain items. A rainy day is the perfect time to test out some appetizer and tapas style recipes.
- The simple concept of toast, is sweeping the world as people are finding new and unique ways to top the bread. The trendy, avocado toast is always a great starter that is not only filling but protein rich. Many are also making toast a sweet experience by topping with ingredients such as fruit, cottage cheese, and honey.
- Dips are a staple of a good appetizer spread. On a rainy day you can experiments with dips of all tastes and varieties. From the “always a good choice” taco dip, to the “out-of-the-box” reuben dip, perfecting one of these during the rain is sure to make you the hit of your next party.